Dancing the Land Farm Veggie CSA
A summer and fall immersed in relationship to soil, water, weather, sun, and the generosity of seeds, to us--your farmers, this place which is our hearts, and what gifts the world might give us. A CSA is more than a box full of colorful, healthful, flavorful, and truly beautiful food every week, though it is that, too. A CSA is a relationship, a bond--between eater and grower, between eater and place, season, temperature, and the mood of the sky. A CSA is how our community guards and protects small family farms, as we feed them, and as we guard and protect water, soil, and sky.
CSA Members are vital folks in our community. You all are with us through bumper crops and potato bugs, through droughts and griefs, and salad greens coming out of our ears, and are treated with our specialties that we don't often bring to market. Your early season support is what helps us weather the uncertainties of working with the natural world, and allows us to pay for our seeds and compost and fuel to heat the greenhouse--to allow us to start the seeds that will feed us all this coming season, while the ground still sleeps and dreams under February snows. Farms like us don't get crop insurance or subsidies, we don't have safety nets during floods or severe weather, we have people, true community, and meaningful relationships. And we are certain that we, and our community, are all the better for it.
Together we are making a better world, where small farms feed people and build back the soils that have been devastated for generations, sequester carbon from the sky back into the Earth, create thriving local economies and breathe life into rural community, and build supportive bridges between urban and rural spaces. Together we break barriers and build culture and community, all around a shared experience and a good meal. We'd love for you to join us this season!
Dates: Beginning of July to mid-October, with a yet-to-be-determined week off in August. 14 weeks total.
Farm Pickup: All shares will be available for pickup from the cooler in our Farm Store beginning Wednesday mornings. Boxes can be picked up anytime after that until Sunday, at which point any remaining boxes will be donated.
Sliding Scale: We offer a sliding scale to help make healthy, beautiful food accessible to folks with fewer financial resources. This system relies on those who have more financial resources who feel comfortable doing so to pay more to help offset the costs for others. There is no pressure or judgement, just community and kindness. This is always an incredibly heartwarming and beautiful part of what we do. The target price is $450 for the season. Slide up or down or hit the target as is most in line with your capacity. If it says "sold out" when trying to purchase a Slide Down, it means we've reached a balance with the number of shares we can offer at a lower price, in addition to the Slide-Ups we've received. If we get another Slide Up, I'll add more Slide-Downs to the availability!
Our CSA shares tend to sell out very fast, and I end up making a long waiting list every year of people who are BUMMED to have missed out. And this year there are fewer spaces available than years past, so if you're excited to join us, please don't hesitate. I'm not trying to instigate panic or scarcity, it's just that every year I have to turn folks away once we fill up who would be so stoked to join our dedicated, beautiful, intelligent, and kind CSA membership, but can't. It is by far and away a more satisfying experience for everyone to have members who really understand what it is we do. We want folks who are excited to be here! We want the adventurous folks. We want the passionate people, and those who are game to try new things, to build relationships, to be a part of something bigger than all of us. We want newbies as well as our beloved returning members. We want people who love to eat, learn, and experience the fullness of life. People who value beauty and substance and complexity. People who care about the ground, their bodies, their communities, and the miracle that is beautiful, generous food.
- Pickup locations: We will not be offering multiple pickup locations this season. All CSA shares will be picked up at the farm. We recognize that this is the most impactful change we're making this season, positively for our energy and sustainability, and challenging for our beloved and valued members. If the drive out to the farm from the Twin Cities (about an hour each way) is prohibitive, we suggest signing up with buddies to share the burden. For the St. Cloud area folks, we're just 20 minutes from pretty much everywhere. And I will also say, that one of the main reasons we're making this change is because we're hoping to deepen our relationship with our members. We want you to know these fields, for us to know each other, for our members to see and understand the hows and the whys of our growing practices, to fully understand what is on their plates and ours, and we can't do that if we're ships passing in the night at a drop-site. No matter how descriptive my newsletters are. We've realized the trade-off of seeking convenience for our customers was hampering our ability to form meaningful relationships with our members. This shift will give us hundreds of hours back in administration and drive times to put toward doing the work of farming, and to start including a bit of regular rest into our weeks--revolutionary! As a bonus, we're in the process of opening an on-site Farm Store that will be plump with all the veggies, flowers, herbs, meats, eggs, and fibers that we grow, along with all the felted and woven rugs, medicinal herbs, teas, salves, and other things that we love to make around here, including all the books from our publishing company!--this store will be where y'all will come to pick up your shares. Pick-up days can be as quick and easy, or as chatty and browsy as you like. We're hoping pick-up days become a fun day spent with the comings and goings of our community.
- Share Size: There will be ONE size box this year for everyone. If you are a returning member, it'll be what you've known as our Half-share, or Basket-sized share, with a little extra oomph. For all you folks who typically order a Full-share or Bushel, and don't think that'll be enough produce for you, (I feel you!), we suggest ordering two shares, or making it a point to shop for just what you need at our Farm Store to supplement your CSA.
- Sliding scale: We will still be offering our sliding scale for those whose access to healthy, beautiful food will be improved by such a service. As always, the ability to offer a sliding scale is made possible by those who are able to pay a little more. So those who have an abundance of financial resources, please consider making it easier for a family with fewer resources to eat well this season. No pressure, no judgement--just kindness and community. This has always been a heart-warming and beautiful aspect of what we do. In addition to our sliding scale, I am also working on getting an EBT machine for our farm store, so once we have that folks will be able to purchase their shares with their EBT benefits. And we can certainly break up the payments to work into your monthly food budget.
- Duration: We'll be decreasing the length of our CSA from 16 to 14 weeks this season. For the last four years our season's start has been delayed by both droughts and flooding, and we haven't been able to hit our target start date of mid-June once in those four years, despite meticulous planning, which pushes our end-date well past the frosts and into territory that can make it hard to guarantee abundance. This is climate change in action, and it is our duty to listen and respond. Springs have become tumultuous, and navigating the start date of our CSA has caused much frustration for our customers, and an unnecessary amount of stress for us as we try to fit the will of the Natural World into the narrow scope of our human expectation. So, we'll be leaving room for the spring to be whatever it is, and we'll be starting our CSA in early July and running to mid-October, with a yet-to-be-determined week off around mid season for us to catch our breath (what?!).
- Add-ons: We will not be offering any add-ons this season. No bread, no eggs, no meat. However, your shares will be available for pickup in our Farm Store where you will be able to purchase all of those things, plus lots more, as you need them, when you pick up your boxes.
- Flowers: We will not be offering our Flower CSA this year, nor our Flower Punchcard for farmers' markets. I know this is also a big change and that many of you will be disappointed, I'm so sorry! I've loved flowering you all each week, but we had to make some hard choices this year, and while some stung, we're so excited for the bigger picture. We will still have beautiful bouquets at farmers' markets, and we will have a wide variety of lush bouquets and arrangements for sale and regularly stocked in our Farm Store.